Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Adventures in Labor & Delivery - Deux

My birth story for the l'il dude:

Tuesday night/morning December 7 in L&D with false labor.
Wednesday doctor appointment dilated to 3 cm.
Wednesday night drank 1 cup raspberry leaf tea.
Thursday morning drank 1 cup raspberry leaf tea.
Took 2 power walks around the neighborhood Thursday and big Christmas shopping trip.
Thursday night drank 1 cup raspberry leaf tea.
Went to bed at 10:30 with no contractions or sign of labor.
Friday, December 10th: Woke up with mega painful contraction at 1:50 and got up to pee.
Went back to bed only to have another painful contraction right away.
Got out of bed to try to walk it off.
Took a few steps and my water broke. Me: "UH OH!" (I was trying not to wake or alarm my DH.)
Went to the bathroom and saw blood and fluid on pad.
Woke DH and told him to call the sitter asap and have her rush to our house. (Last time I told her to take her time.)
Contractions were already so close together and so painful I couldn't even time them or think clearly.
Scrambled to find clothes to wear, call doctor on call and grab bags.
Could feel the contractions getting more painful (excruciating) and productive.
I was terrified it was moving so fast that I wasn't going to make it to the hospital in time.
Babysitter was pulling up to the curb 7 minutes later, we were out the door while she was going in and we started driving to the hospital.
we got to the hospital in less than 10 minutes, waited in the ER for what seemed like an eternity for the nurse wih the wheelchair.
I thought for sure the baby was going to be delivered right there.
I paced the floor as the contractions came immediately one after another.
Nurse came and she wheeled me straight to the labor room while I kept asking where the anesthesiologist was and how long to get an epidural. I was still hoping it wasn't too late.
Two nurses worked on entering my info into the computer, checking my urine and pad, getting vital signs, ordering labs, trying to start an IV (took 2 sticks)
They finally checked my cervix and I was at 9 cm.
I could feel the baby wanting to crown.
I was an emotional wreck in so much nonstop pain I couldn't function. I begged for drugs and was denied. Too far along, no time for epidural and narcotics would be bad for baby.
Nurse offered me a local anasthetic around my perineum. Ha!
She tried consoling me that it would be a snappy recovery without the epidural.
I insisted that I'm not a natural kind of girl.
Had to close my eyes to make everyone disappear.
I remember hearing the nurses asking to find out where doctor was, (in another delivery), trying to locate another doctor from NICU, asking for a table to be set up, needing another set of hands.
They gave me oxygen mask and gave my DH a chair to sit in as he apparently looked ashen.
Felt better if I pushed a little with the painful contractions. I didn't tell anyone I was doing it, I just did it.
Told DH he better get ready to catch because the baby was coming and someone better be there.
Doctor shows up, asks me to push with the next contraction, everyone in the room coaching and shouting commands, me feebly attempting to open my legs and lift them to my chest; it hurt like hell.
2 big pushes for the head and a push for some stubborn shoulders and he came out at 3:26 am. Less than 2 hours from start to finish - unbelievable!
I felt instant relief. The residual contractions and suturing were nothing.
The nurses congratulated me and said what a good job I did and how much better I would feel right away without the epidural.
Then they announced that the baby weighed 9 lbs. 2 oz!! WTF?! That really blew me away - not only a natural childbirth in less than 2 hours, but a 9 lb. BUTTERBALL!! Yikes!
I enjoyed holding him, nursing him, learning his APGAR was 8/9 and that he was totally healthy.
I focused on catching my breath and trying to make sense of what had just happened.
It was such a relief to have pregnancy and delivery completely behind me. Very surreal and intense experience.

*Will edit to make complete sentences/paragraphs as time permits.


  1. I like incomplete sentences. =)

    Great story! How are you feeling a month in?!

  2. You're so sweet! I'm feeling run-down but optimistic that I'll be feeling better soon. Holiday season is OVER - YAY!

  3. That's pretty impressive so soon pp - and I hope the clogged duct & bp gets sorted out soon!